Years ago I went on a double date (well actually there were three couples) that was a little out of the ordinary. It went like this:
One couple was in charge of the appetizers, one couple was in charge of the main dish, and one couple was in charge of dessert. We all went to the local grocery store together and paired off. The catch was, we only had $3 each to spend. So, we had to get a little creative. It sounds a little weird, but that made it more challenging and actually more fun.
My date and I had the bright idea to get chocolate and vanilla pudding, thinking it would look cool layered in a glass for each person. So it would be easy to make, pretty to look at, yummy to eat, and most importantly—cheap.
We all went back to one of the guy’s apartments and got cooking. It was actually fun to see what the others picked out. When we sat down to dinner, it was quite “interesting” to say the least. Appetizers were some sort of bread and the main course consisted of tuna and pasta. The dessert, I am happy to say, was a big hit among all the couples. My date and I were proud of ourselves.
But in the end, we all had a good laugh. And we had fun during the whole process. Dates like that are some of the most memorable. That date turned into many with that guy.
Sometimes your typical dating gets a little stale. Go to dinner, see a movie. Been there, done that. Why not mix it up?
Definitely go double on your next date. The more the merrier! So grab your friends and have them bring dates. Now, what to do on the date? Maybe something a little off the wall, even?
Here are some ideas:
- Taste Testing—Have each person or couple bring items for taste testing. It could be cheese, root beer, chocolates, bread, anything really. Imagine them all on a plate like at a store offering samples, but during the date everyone has to give their feedback. Then you can reveal the brand or type of the item. It gets a lot of good conversation going and is a fun way to snack the evening away!
- Get Outdoors—Nothing makes a date more fun than getting out and doing something active. Check around your area for bike riding, hiking, skiing, snow mobiling, paddle boating, fishing, kite flying, mini golfing, animals at the zoo, segway riding, sports playing, and more. You could even rent a convertible for the day and drive on a scenic byway in your area!
- Get Wet—Go float the river, go for a swim at the pool, head to the beach, find a local water park, or fill up a ton of water balloons and throw them or play water balloon volleyball. Nothing would be better on a hot summer day!
- Special Event—Sometimes it’s more fun to head to an even with a double date than just the two of you. Spend the day at the amusement park winning stuffed animals for the girls, or head to the evening music festival and take in the sights and sounds. A sporting event would also be fun, complete with hot dogs and foam hands for you to cheer on your favorite team.
- Check Out Groupon Deals—With everything from food, to spa treatments, to fitness, to gifts, to getaways, there is sure to be something fun for a double date experience!