I remember it like it was yesterday. It was December, right before Christmas. The snow falling while we lingered outside his car, neither of us wanting the date to end. It was cold outside, but we were plenty warm as we leaned in for a kiss….
There’s nothing like getting your dating on during the holidays. It’s a magical time of year that can provide ample opportunity for taking things to the next level. But dating during the holidays can also be challenging. People are just busy with traveling and spending time with family.
First realize that plenty of singles ARE dating during the holidays. Most singles just need an extra nudge to get out of the house. Also, you may need to get a little creative in order to pull it off. Here are 7 dating tips to make your holidays more interesting. Who knows? Maybe it’ll lead to something more serious once the holidays are over.
- Figure out your days off and arrange a date in advance. You may be tempted to just wait until you have a day off to find a same-day date over the holidays, but if you wait too long you’ll end up empty. Get something on the schedule. Ask that person you’ve been chatting with online or at the local coffee shop to save the date.
- Take advantage of holiday happenings. There are plenty of holiday-themed plays or musical performances to attend; some of them are even free! Grab a date and you’ll not only feel the holiday spirit, you might feel a few sparks. If your place of work is having a holiday party, why not bring a date? Hey, free food.
- Ask a date over for holiday cookies and decorating. If you’re single, you probably don’t have a lot of help with decking your halls. Why not ask a date over to lend you a hand? You can chat while taste-testing holiday treats and trimming the tree.
- Go ice skating. Nothing says holiday romance more than hand-in-hand ice skating, and some hot cocoa afterwards.
- Volunteer Together. This is the best time of year to volunteer in your local community. There are ample opportunities to either give of your time or money to those in need. Ask your date to come with you to feed the homeless, or pick a child’s name from the gift tree and go shopping together. You’ll both feel good about what you are doing, and you’ll be getting to know each other in the process.
- Check Out the Lights. Go on a walking tour of downtown or a driving tour of your community to check out Christmas lights. Many communities have Facebook groups or lists of where to go look. Ooo and ahhh at the lights while you catch glimpses of each other. If you’re driving, be sure to put on some Christmas tunes.
- Host an Ugly Christmas Sweater Party. Singles love this kind thing. Invite all sorts of people, including the one you are hoping to date. This will be a fun way to get to know them better and have a good laugh over each other’s ugly sweaters.