Congratulations! You have a first date set on the calendar.
As if the journey leading up to this point wasn’t nerve-wracking enough—getting up the guts to ask her out and waiting for her to say yes—now you have to think of something to do on your date.
Of course, there’s always the old stand-by. Dinner and a movie are so predictable, it makes me wonder, what did people do before movies and restaurants were invented? While eating dinner together can be fun and offer opportunity to talk and get to know each other, watching a movie is just the opposite.
Don’t do dinner and a movie! This is your chance to impress your date, so make it memorable. If you’re stumped on what to do, how about trying one of these 8 awesome first date ideas?
- Go to a community event. Maybe the local fair is going on, or an outdoor concert. Check your area’s community events calendar for ideas. Don’t forget to look outside your town and to towns close by, too. If you are close to a college, many have regular events so check their calendars, too.
- Go on a nature walk. Tell your date to wear her hiking shoes! A walk outdoors will be invigorating and be a great chance to connect with each other and nature. So find a fun trail to explore, and surprise her with a picnic under the trees.
- Get some culture. Hit up a museum, planetarium, zoo, aquarium, or other more educational places in your area. Going here with a date gives you plenty to look at together, but also lots of time to talk and find out about each other’s interests.
- Have a game night. If you prefer to be indoors or stay close to home, a game night is fun and easy. Get a few games together and tell your date to be ready to play; perhaps even invite other couples to come play, too. Cards, board games, or even group games you’ve played before would all be fun on a first date. You can see how competitive your date is, check out their sense of humor, and hopefully see her relax and be herself.
- Go Geocaching. All over the world, there are little treasures waiting to be found, called geocaches. Get the app on your smart phone and see how many are close to you. On your first date, see if you can find a few. What’s inside? You won’t know until you find them! Then leave your own treasures for the next person to find.
- Get sporty! Go roller skating, biking, bowling or play a sport together. Tennis or golf, anyone? Even if either of you aren’t any good, it can be fun to learn together. If getting sporty isn’t your thing, then maybe watch sports instead. Head to a local baseball game or even check out a high school football game. The excitement of the crowd makes it even more fun.
- Take a class together. Drawing, dancing, photography—there are a variety of classes you could take together. Discovering together can be a fun way to bond and have something in common in the future.
- Cook together. If you want to make it a longer first date, watch a cooking show, then go out and buy the ingredients, and come back and cook together. It’ll be exciting to create something together and of course, eat it together!