As one of the oldest cities in the U.S.—and still now as one of its biggest—there is a lot of diversity and rich American culture in Philadelphia. If you’re looking to take a date on the town here, look no further. We’ve got a list of unique and interesting places to check out.
So whether you’re hungry for local eats, want to take in the local history, or want to find something out of the ordinary to do, Philadelphia caters to all. So grab your date and have fun!
Here are fun and unique date destinations in Philadelphia:
- Sample a philly cheesesteak—or two. This one really goes without saying. You’re here in Philadelphia, so you gotta eat the cheesesteak. It’s the American thing to do. There are countless cheesesteak joints around town, so why not make your date night into a taste test of sorts? Pick a few locations off Yelp.com and then add your own ratings as you sample. There are several spots to try in the heart of the city, so you could even take a walk or bike tour while you’re at it. The first restaurant listed on Yelp is Tommy DiNic’s, located at the Reading Terminal Market on Arch Street. If you aren’t a huge fan of steak, they are also famous for their pork sandwiches.
- Go historic. Especially if you are going to date someone new to Philly—or even someone who has been here a long time but hasn’t gotten out to see the sites—consider going historic. How can you go wrong with all the amazing history that has taken place here? Independence Hall, the Betsy Ross House, the Liberty Bell… each one is amazing in its own right and will prompt some interesting conversation. For a fun, full day of activities, check out the Philadelphia CityPASS. You might want to read up on each location before you head out so you can impress your date a little.
- Get a little Rocky. If you and your date are Rocky fans, then watch one of the movies and head out into Philadelphia to relive your favorite scenes in the movie. You can’t pass up a chance to run up the steps of the Philadelphia Museum of Art (don’t forget your gray sweats). While you’re there, check out the bronze statue depicting character Rocky Balboa, played by Sylvester Stallone. For a few more Rocky sites and even the route of the famous Rocky “training run” check out PhillyMag.com.
- Channel your inner science geek. The Franklin Institute in Philadelphia offers Science After Hours, a 21+ event the likes of which you’ve never seen. Each one has a different theme and features experiments, demonstrations, games and innovative and engaging science. Grab a drink at the cash bar and also check out the exhibits while you are there. Make sure to book in advance because the event does sell out.
- Go for a lockdown. Trying for a memorable date? Can’t get more memorable than a jaunt at the Eastern State Penitentiary. Talk the tour and learn about its notable inmates—including “Scarface” Al Capone—and history. Built in 1829, and some people even believe it’s haunted. Interested? There is only one way to find out. Thankfully, it’s only open during daylight hours, so play your date accordingly.
- Gawk at historical medical oddities. If you haven’t been to the Mutter Museum, take your date there now. Talk about unique, amazing and… a little weird. You’ll see skulls and other specimens of all kinds, John Wilkes Booth’s vertebra, a plaster cast and conjoined liver of Siamese twins, and much, much more.