You’ve finally joined a dating site, and you’ve been browsing possible dating material. Interesting options out there.
After a while, though, you are noticing that a lot of the photos are starting to look the same—a mirror selfie again? Or a boring mug shot? And even a lot of the “about me” text is starting to look the same—I guess everyone is on the “I love to have fun!” boat.
But there are a few stand outs. Definitely pay attention, here. What is different about their photos? And what is different about the text in their profile? What are these stand outs doing right?
It’s actually pretty easy to make your online dating profile stand out. All it takes is a little bit of knowledge and a little bit of time. In the end, you’ll be turning more heads than you thought possible.
How to make your online dating profile stand out:
Focus on your photos.
- Your profile photo needs to be awesome. Pick a photo with your “real” smile. Not a fake smile. Not a goose face. A real, honest-to-goodness belly laugh smile. Ask your friend to take it and tickle you if he has to. A laugh smile is the best smile.
- Make sure all your photos are clear, well lit, show your face, and are flattering.
- Be bright! Don’t blend into the background. Especially if you are in front of greenery, wear something bright colored. The contrast will help you stand out and get noticed.
- Think about action. At least one of your photos should show you in action. Perhaps playing a sport, or doing something fun. When someone checks it out they will think, “This person looks like FUN. I want to get to know them!”
Focus on the text in your profile.
- Be positive! Use happy words. Write good things about yourself. If your profile text has a negative tone, people will notice and move onto the next profile.
- Only type truth. Just trust us on this one. People can usually tell if someone isn’t being honest, and they’ll skip right over your profile to someone who is showing their true self.
- Get your English major friend to proofread your profile for you. Miswrite a few words and you’ll end up looking like you don’t care or don’t know what you are doing. It only takes a few extra minutes to get it checked, so definitely do it!
- Be memorable! This one is a little harder, but probably the most important. To do this, be less general and instead add specific details about yourself. For example, instead of saying, “I love to have fun!” and “I spend a lot of time outdoors!” use more details. Perhaps say something like, “I hike whenever I get the chance. Nature makes me feel alive!” Writing this way will definitely attract more attention.
Focus on updating your profile often.
- Change your profile picture every week or two. Just see what happens! We are guessing you’ll appear fresh and new and attract more attention. You never know which photo will resonate with people the most.
- Switch the text on your profile often; who says you have to pick one description and keep it that way forever? Boring! Stand out by re-inventing your profile text when you feel the urge. Maybe play up the different sides of yourself each time.
- Show your profile to friends, especially of the gender you are wanting to attract. Ask for their honest feedback. Pros and cons? Ideas to make it better? Be willing to update your profile after taking their ideas into consideration.