After your New Year’s Eve hangover has subsided, and you pull yourself out of bed to head to the gym, then give up and decide exercising isn’t for you… here is what you need to do next: set some online dating resolutions.
Stop your grumbling. I don’t mean online dating resolutions you can’t keep, like the ones that are too much pressure. Like “find love in 2017” or “go on X number of dates this year” or “propose to someone,” or “find my soul mate.” Really, who does that?
Instead, I want you to consider making online dating resolutions you’ll actually keep.
Ones that are simple, one-step, no frills sorts of resolutions. Quick tasks you can complete without stress and worry. Resolutions that won’t even feel like resolutions.
Remember that online dating is a process. And the more you worry about the final goal (finding love) the harder it will be to attain. Instead, you must do a little bit here and there every day, and try to have fun doing it.
Here, in no particular order, are some online dating resolutions you’ll actually keep this year:
- Join a dating site you’ve never been on before.
- Login once a day.
- If there is a good deal on a membership, take the plunge. Why not?
- Don’t overthink your profile. Just type. You can always change it later.
- Add a little something off the wall about yourself in the text.
- Change your profile picture at least every two weeks.
- Don’t add selfies. Ask a friend to snap one for you.
- Make sure one of your profile pics is of you doing something you love.
- Answer all the questions the online dating site asks. Be brutally honest.
- Give other people on the online dating site the benefit of the doubt.
- If you find yourself logging in at the same time everyday, change it up. Switch to a different time for a day and see what happens.
- Once a week, do a new search that includes potential people you never would have considered dating.
- Answer every message that comes to you.
- Send a message to at least seven people per week.
- If someone doesn’t respond, forget about them and move on.
- If someone does respond, go with your gut. If you feel like taking it further, do it. If not, don’t feel bad about just saying, “Thanks but no thanks” and dropping them.
- Be twice as flirty as you were last year.
- Post a video of yourself on your profile.
- Actually have fun while you are online dating.
- After the third message, ask the other person for their cell and send them a text.
- Ask someone to meet for coffee.
- Once a month, rewrite your profile text to keep it fresh.
- Be honest. If you like someone, tell them. If you don’t, tell them it’s not working for you.
- Block anyone who gives you the hebegebees.
- Keep it light. Quit being so serious.
- Say “yes” even if you’re just feeling “maybe.” You can always say “no” later.
- Always, always be safe. Meet in public places and keep your cell in your pocket.
- Tell your BFF about your online dating escapades. Laugh about them.
- If you start feeling icky about online dating, take a break for a week.
- Join another online dating site you’ve never been on before. Repeat.