I don’t know about you, but I hate SPAM emails. It’s like, do you really think I’m going to respond to an email about an international princess who needs my help? Little old random me who you don’t even know? How do you even know I am a sane person who has your best interests in mind? Not to mention your long-winded explanation with a million misspellings, oh and asking for money. Riiiiight.
So now, if an email looks in the least bit SPAMy, I quickly hit “delete” and in the trash it goes. Done without a second thought.
For those who are doing the online dating thing, maybe you’re receiving some interesting emails from other potential online daters. If you’ve been receiving these for any length of time, you’ll notice a lot of the email subjects start to sound the same. “Loved your profile,” or “We should talk,” or “Hey you!”
Is there anything about those email subjects that make you even want to open them? I don’t know about you, but they sorta seem like Online Dating Email SPAM. They are so generic, so boring.
And please don’t tell me you’re sending out emails like those, too!
Don’t fall into that trap! We know it’s hard to come up with fun and catchy email subjects–it takes time to be creative and to come up with something unique to each person you are messaging. So we’re here to help.
Here are 10 email icebreakers for online daters. Use these types of phrases and ideas in your email subjects to other online daters, and they’re sure to NOT be mistaken for SPAM. In fact, these types of emails more likely to be opened and responded to!
- Did you really …. ? Here you can pick something unique from the other person’s online dating profile and use it to peak their interest. Something like, Did you really climb Mt. Hood? Or Did you really go sky diving? in this email subject shows that you not only read their profile, but find it interesting. In the email itself, quickly talk about how their profile intrigued you and you just HAVE to know more. Who can resist that?
- The other day I …… Everyone loves a good story. So why not tell one to some online dater who might appreciate it? Maybe it could be true story, or maybe it could be a not so true story. You decide. Maybe the person you are emailing could even be in the story. “The other day I ran into Starbucks in a rush, and the only thing that stood between me and my coffee was a scruffy old man who smelled of the mountains….” I would be willing to bet that most people would want to find out the ending to that kind of story.
- Time for a little truth or dare…. Channel your fun-loving side and propose a game to your online dater friend. When you’re playing a game together, it seems to take the pressure off. You are focusing on playing instead of what you should be saying. If the other person is willing, then you know they are fun-loving, too.
- Tell a joke! In the subject line, just ask the opener… “Why did the 6 not like the 7?” and then answer it in the email, “Because 7 8 9!” Sure, it’s cheesy. But admit it–you would open an email like that. Just keep it clean, folks, and prompt the other person to send you a joke in return.
- What is your ideal date? Aside from it being a question that will no doubt get a response, you’ll definitely want to read the answer. Perhaps it’ll spark some conversation that will lead to an actual date! Be sure to include your own ideal date ideas, the more elaborate the better.
- I love …. too! Pointing out what you have in common is a definite plus, because it shows that you aren’t just emailing to email, you’re actually paying attention and are finding something you both enjoy. Perhaps you both love cats, or Star Wars, or mashed potatoes. Whatever it is, it’s the perfect ice breaker. From there, you can talk about pretty much anything.
- My pet peeve is …. What’s yours? This can be a really hilarious interchange. “My pet peeve is when an old man hits me with his cane for stealing his cab….” The other person will definitely open the email, laugh, and respond. Even more fun is when you both keep going back and forth with your antics.
- A childhood memory. “Did you have one of these as a kid?” or “My favorite show when I was 10 was…. ” If you’re about the same age, it will be fun to chat about old memories, and you’ll get to know each other better in the process. Maybe even include a picture of that well-loved My Little Pony?
- What is the next thing you want to cross off your bucket list? Talking about hopes and dreams is a no-brainer, because it’s easy and fun to hope and dream. An email invitation to do just that will definitely get opened and be responded to. In the process you’ll learn just how far other person’s hopes and dreams go, which offers great insight into who they are as a person.
- I made a meme for you….. When all else fails, send the gift of silly memes. You can Google search the other person’s name and find a funny one to attach to the email. Ask them to send you one back. Meme War, anyone? You could even create a few original memes to send. The other person will definitely laugh and be flattered and want to know more about you.