I met a guy through a mutual friend during a term break, and then I headed back to college. Much to my surprise, he randomly emailed me (our mutual friend also fancied herself a matchmaker). This was back in the days before cell phones, so email was it.
I replied, and then he replied, and then I replied…. and through the rest of the semester we developed a sort of relationship via email. While it didn’t work out between us, I’ll never forget the funny pick up lines he used in almost every email. This one was the most memorable, because it went on for about three paragraphs:
*Your dad must be a clepto, because he stole the stars out of heaven and put them in your eyes.”
It was one of those times I rolled my eyes because it was just SO CHEESY. But then I smiled and though how adorable it was. So yes, you could say his pick up lines worked on me. Now that I think about it, perhaps he was just trying them all out to see which one worked?
At any rate, guys–don’t give up on pick up lines. Just know which ones to use. As a general rule, stay away from anything with overtly sexual tones. It’s a huge turn off. Even though we know you are thinking about sex–you’re in a bar late at night, after all–we women need to warm up to the idea before it can be “cute” or endearing. Also stay away from mentioning anyone’s mom or grandma, or anything too specifically geeky. General geek is actually desirable.
The other thing to consider is if the woman is ready for you yet. You can’t just walk up to a random girl and say a line. Look at her from across the room a few times, and if she looks back at least twice, well, that’s an open invitation. Make sure her body language is soft and welcoming, or she may not be ready for a stranger to contact her quite yet.
Finally, realize that your tone of voice can make or break you. Think about the best comedians and their delivery. They don’t speak flatly. They have spunk. So reach into your innermost comic, smile, and don’t be afraid to be goofy. Because if you’re willing to be goofy around her, she’ll know that you are humble and think she’s cute. Win-win.
Here are the top 10 ten pick up likes you should actually use:
- “Do you live around here? Because I definitely would have remembered you.” Any line that tells a girl how pretty she is will probably be a winner.
- “Can I buy you a drink? I find drinks help me become more attractive.” Girls love free drinks, and they especially love them from a guy who doesn’t take himself too seriously.
- “I took a poll and you’re the prettiest girl here.” Watch her try not to smile.
- “Kiss me if I’m wrong, but….” Fill in the blank with something ridiculous that wouldn’t possibly be true. If she laughs out loud, she’s definitely a keeper.
- “Do you like raisins? How about a date?” Or if not a date, just a dance?
- “I like your dress. Not to brag, but my shirt is made of boyfriend material.” Cheesy, yes. Charming, double yes.
- “Let me guess your name. I’m good at this. Is it… Grace? Because you’re so amazing.” It might take her a second, but she’ll get it.
- “I swear I’ve seen you somewhere before…. “ Then fill in the blank with something funny, like “Weren’t you that girl dressed like Wonder Woman at Comic Con?” or “Aren’t you on TV? You should be.”
- “Can I text you sometime? I promise it will be awkward and there will be lots of autocorrect mishaps.” Make sure to deliver on your promise, and she’ll love it all the more.
- “My name is …. but you can call me Dr. Who.” Come on, what girl can resist Dr. Who?