Most of my dating life in college was spent going on group dates or double dates. Each of us was paired of with a particular person, but we all went out as a group–together.
We went to the movies. We went to laser tag. We played games. We biked. We hiked. We did just about every group activity we could think of. If you are in the dating world, chances are that you typically just go one-on-one. But by doing so, you may be missing out.
Let me tell you why double dating or group dating is genius.
- It’s more fun. You and your date could go to laser tag by yourselves, but you’d be put with a bunch of strangers, or just the two of you would hunt each other down. Instead, imagine a group of 4, 6, or even more people. Doesn’t that sound fun?
- It can be less expensive. Hello Groupon, or family discount, or roommate’s date with connections. When there are more people involved, you can split the cost.
- You can get more creative. The more heads you have to put together, the more the ideas will flow. That’s what happens in groups. Someone will have tried this or that, or know someone who owns this cool place. A more creative idea makes for a much more adventurous date.
- Less pressure to do all the talking. Sometimes when it’s just a one-on-one date, while the conversation may be fine, but there is a pressure there. You feel like you have to fill the silence. And when it’s just the two of you, that may be hard. When there is a group, then more people can take turns, meaning less pressure on each person to keep an entire dialogue going the whole night.
- Insight into your date. If your date set up the group date, then he or she knows these people really well. And no one can offer more insight into your date than his or her friends. Casually ask questions and your date’s friends will be all too happy to oblige… in fact, they may offer more information than you even asked for.
- Safety in numbers. If you are going on a blind date or are meeting an online date for the first time, a group date is a great option. The people you are familiar with will help you feel more at ease physically and emotionally.
- If things aren’t going great with your date….. you can check out the options. Ok ok. Sorry. But sometimes your date isn’t your cup of tea. It happens. Not everyone will connect. So being on a group date helps alleviate some of that awkwardness by mingling in a group setting while you secretly scope out everyone else’s dates. At the very least, you’ll have made some new friends for the night, so it won’ t be a total loss.
- However, if things are going particularly well….. there is always the option to leave the group later, if you and your date are craving alone time. Everyone else is fine with it–trust me. I think it’s a code, isn’t it?
If you’re ready to set something up, here is a DateNurse article that will give you great double date ideas. Enjoy!